After several days of only working by inserting existing Xbox 360 discs, Kane's Wrath for the Xbox One finally has its proper Microsoft Store page! So, to recap all the available Command & Conquer items on the Microsoft Store:
As of today, Command & Conquer titles that were released on the Xbox 360 back in the 2007-2009 period are officially available for the Xbox One as part of their backwards compatibility program. You can buy these titles from the following links, or just insert your Xbox 360 disc into your Xbox One console:
- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
- Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath (currently only the Map Pack is purchasable)
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (with Decimation Map Pack)
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Commander's Challenge
Ever since its official release, some news updates have hit C&C rivals.
- To celebrate the worldwide launch, C&C Rivals developers are holding a launch celebration live stream today on January 12th, 2019 at 7PM PST (10PM EST). This will include the reveal of upcoming new units, a brand-new yet-to-be unveiled game feature, as well as 2 mini-tournaments: one featuring C&C fans against mobile gaming YouTubers and another one featuring the top Rivals players from each region across the globe, culminating with in-game prizes for all players across the winning player's region.
- A brand new Spectator Mode, as well as Custom Games and Custom Game Lobbies have been announced and will soon be added into the game. This effectively allows players to play against their friends and organize tournaments. This also includes new advanced replays features.
- 2 new units have been released this past December: The MG Squad (GDI) and Avatar (Nod).
One of the little known but saddening side-effects of Victory Games' closure in 2013 was that a lot of Westwood-era archives were scheduled for disposal, among which were the original tapes holding cutscene footage. We do not know for sure if EA ever digitally archived them beforehand. However, very few people in the community were in on the fact that an unknown person managed to get hold of three of these tapes from Yuri's Revenge before they reached a landfill in the Los Angeles area - one holding selects from days 1-5, one holding selects from day 6, and one holding off-line footage.
Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in history, and thanks to @anderwin for posting this first on Project Perfect Mod, we witness the footage from days 1-5 of the filming of Yuri's Revenge, which was long believed to have been lost. Enjoy!
It is the first Monday of January, so to start off the second year of Nmenth's Research Lab, this month we will examine some of the unusual aircraft in Command & Conquer, including the Kirov, Siege Chopper, and S.H.R.I.N.K. Beam and see how these compare with reality.
New technologies will be explored on the first Monday of every month, so return next month on the 4th for more from Nmenth's Research Lab.
Happy (belated) New Year, everyone! Now that the holidays have ended and my personal health issues have passed, it's time to review what's recently been going around the Command & Conquer community.
- The biggest news, as you can see from the image above, is that last night, Frank Klepacki and The Tiberian Sons performed Command & Conquer tracks live at MAGFest. This music spectacle was streamed live on Twitch, and there is a recording available here at around 01:05:14, with a YouTube mirror (hopefully in higher quality) likely to end up on the official MAGFest channel. If you haven't already, watch that concert (don't just listen to it, that's all I'm willing to spoil!), you owe it to yourselves.
- W3D Hub have revealed their latest project - the Tiberian Dawn: Ground Zero standalone mod for Renegade, which will be properly based on Tiberian Dawn.
- The highly polished final version 009 of the Contra mod for Zero Hour is now out.
- GenTool has been updated to version 7.6 with three bugfixes. You can grab it from CNCNZ.com or the official GenTool website.
- The 2.0 alpha version of the Tiberium Essence mod for Tiberium Wars has been released.
- The massive 3.78 patch for the C&C Untitled mod for Zero Hour has been released.
- The Dawn of the Tiberium Age has been updated to version 1.176.
- The Mental Omega mod for Yuri's Revenge has a screenshot hinting at an ominous and oddly familiar device.
The results for Player's Choice - Best Upcoming Mods/Indies categories in ModDB's Mod of the Year and IndieDB's Indie of the Year awards are now out! The Command & Conquer modding community has once again made us proud by entering both listings.
Tomorrow, on 28 December, the results of last category will be revealed, the Player's Choice of Best Released Mods/Indies, so stay tuned for that!
About half an hour ago, Jim Vessella posted an update on the progress with Command & Conquer: Remastered and Red Alert: Remastered on the C&C subreddit, which we bring you in its entirety:
- What is the difference between a Remaster and a Remake?
- What visual approach are you taking – 2D or 3D?
- Do you have the original source code?
- What technology / engine are you using for the game?
- What is going to happen with the FMVs?
- What quality of life improvements are you considering?