The following is the official guide for the freeware release of Command & Conquer Gold as was released by Electronic Arts in August 2007.
For a more complete and up-to-date solution, check out the guide titled Installing Command & Conquer Gold & The Covert Operations.
For the twelfth anniversary of Command & Conquer, EA officially released Tiberian Dawn 95 (C&C1) for free download! This is an unprecedented move as EA have never made any of their games available for free before or since! As this is an old game it will only run in XP with modifications, but this guide will take you through it step-by-step:
Once downloaded you can either burn each .iso file to a CD, provided you have the correct software, or:
- Download and install MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM.
- Right-click the MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM Manger icon in the notification area,
- Mouse-over Virtual CD/DVD Rom:
- Mouse over E: No Media (the drive letter may vary depending on your individual computer setup),
- Click Mount:
- Browse to one of the downloaded ISOs and open it.
- The autoplay window will now appear and you can install the game by clicking “Install C&C:WIN’95”:
- This should go smoothly, if it doesn’t, explore the disk and set compatibility mode for the installer to Windows 95.
- Untick the install DirectX option.
- If you wish to play online you should choose to also install Westwood Chat.
Now the game is installed, you do not need to repeat this with the other file. Finally we must deal with Windows Compatibility, so you don’t have to go fiddling around with complex Windows settings you should download the Command & Conquer Gold – Unofficial Patch developed by Nyerguds, that will do it all for you:
C&C 95 is now installed and playable both off and online!