This guide will show you how to install The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II: The Rise of the Witch-king on modern operating systems.
I have the retail DVD version.
- Make sure you have installed the retail CD/DVD version of The Battle for Middle-earth II (the base game) by these guidelines before proceeding.
- If you are using the patch switcher for the base game, make sure you set it to version 1.06 before playing The Rise of the Witch-king.
- Insert The Rise of the Witch-king disc to your CD/DVD drive.
- If you are not using Windows XP, exit the autorun and run setup.exe from the disc as administrator.
- Install the game as you normally would.
- Patch the game to version 2.01, the latest official patch. You can use the patch for your language from our site linked below, or one of these mirrors.
- Install the unofficial 2.02 patch (optional, but highly recommended).
- If you are not using Windows XP, browse to the directory you installed the game to and set lotrbfme2ep1.exe to always run as administrator and in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3.
- Run the game.
Finishing touches and notes
After the first run, open Options.ini and change your resolution to something custom if the default ones are not to your liking. The file is located in:
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Local Settings\My The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king Files
- Windows Vista and newer: C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\My The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king Files