These instructions show how to setup your SMC Wireless Router to open certain ports in the firewall when C&C Generals tries to create or connect to a Online game.
NOTE: This configuration is only for those experiencing connection problems setting up a game Online in C&C Generals behind a SMC Wireless Router/Firewall, although other SMC firewalls might work with similar setups.
1. Go to the configuration program for your router. To do that open MS Internet Explorer and in the address box type http://192.168.2.1 (this is the default IP address for the SMC Wireless router; if you did change this address then you should type the address that you entered the first time that you configured your router). You’ll be prompted for your login and password. If you have never changed your password use the default one. Look for it in the SMC instruction manual.
2. Now you should be at the Main Menu of the SMC setup program. Click in the menu named NAT, then click in the sub-menu named Special Applications.
3. Here we have to set-up one rule per computer connected to the Router that will be used to play C&C Generals.
a) Add a triggering port per computer. The Trigger Port specifies which port is used to initiate the connection. It is important not to use a standard port. As you can see below we setup rules for 2 computers and we used port 29900 for the first computer and 29910 for the second computer. In the Trigger Type option select UDP as this is the protocol used by C&C Generals
b) In Incoming Port Range we have to specify the ports that the router will enable whenever the computer establishes a connection through the Trigger Port. Here we will setup a range of ports. SMC routers seem to work correctly if we provide a range with 10 ports, however other firewalls might need wider ranges
Once again, do not use any standard ports or a range that might include a standard port. As you can see in the example below we define a range of 10 ports per connection between 27900 and 27921. In the Public Type option select UDP as this is the protocol used by C&C Generals
c) Repeat this process adding a new rule per computer that will be used to play C&C Generals online. As you can see in the example below we have setup forwarding rules for just 2 computers.
d) Once you are done click in the Apply button.
4. Now you have setup each of the computers so each one uses a specific port in your firewall to initiate the connections.
a) Go to the first computer that you are going to use to play C&C Generals and open the My Documents folder. Then go to the folder named Command and Conquer Generals Data and double click in the file named Options.ini
b) Look in the file for the lines:
FirewallBehavior = XX FirewallPortAllocationDelta = X
c) You have to add a new line FirewallPortOverride that specifies the first of the trigger ports that you already defined when setting up your firewall. In our example the first Trigger port was 29900 so the line will be:
FirewallPortOverride = 29900
d) The file should look now something similar to this:
FirewallBehavior = 1 FirewallPortAllocationDelta = 0 FirewallPortOverride = 29900 GameSpyIPAddress = XXX.XXX.XX.XX Gamma = 48 IPAddress = XXX.XXX.XX.XX IdealStaticGameLOD = High LanguageFilter = false MaxParticleCount = 3000 MoveScrollAnchor = …
e) Save the file and repeat this process in the other computers, changing the FirewallPortOverride value to the correspondent Triggering Port that you defined while setting up the router (Point 3 of this document).
5. Now start the game in each computer and go to the Options menu, then click in the Refresh NAT option.
6. You are ready to play C&C Generals Online.