Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection came with a few problems of its own, and some games have problems with running on modern operating systems, much like their retail predecessors. This guide will show you how to make the most of your Ultimate Collection installation.
- Make sure you have installed DirectX 9.0c by these guidelines before proceeding.
- Install the games from within the Origin client as you normally would, one by one.
- After the installation is complete, right-click on each game’s cover in your Origin library, click “Game Properties” and disable Origin In-Game/cloud saves. This will prevent Origin from overwriting any manual edits to the game.
- Apply Bibber’s fixed launchers for The Ultimate Collection.
- Patch Command & Conquer Gold with the latest version of Nyerguds’ unofficial 1.06 patch.
- Patch C&C: Red Alert with the latest version of FunkyFr3sh’s setup. Choose the following option: “Patch existing installation”.
- Patch C&C: Tiberian Sun with the latest version of FunkyFr3sh’s setup.
- Patch C&C: Renegade with the latest version of Tiberian Technologies scripts.
- Apply GenTool for C&C: Generals and Zero Hour (optional, but highly recommended).
- If you are not running Windows XP, set all games’ executables to run as administrator.
Handling Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10
Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 require additional steps to get C&C: Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge running. One option is to move ts-ddraw.dll from an existing and fully patched Tiberian Sun installation to the Red Alert 2 directory, and applying the C&C Graphics Patcher to executables of both Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge. Should that fail, the other option is to apply XWIS’ fix for Red Alert 2 and fix for Yuri’s Revenge – however, this will make the games incompatible with Ares-powered mods (like Mental Omega APYR) and probably CnCNet.
Finishing touches and notes
Apply your desired settings (resolution, graphics levels…) from the following executables that you now have in the games’ directories:
- Command & Conquer Gold: CCConfig.exe
- C&C: Red Alert: RedAlertConfigFull.exe
- C&C: Tiberian Sun: TSConfig.exe
- C&C: Renegade: WWConfig.exe (requires two tries, as the first launch will have fewer options)
For games up to and including Tiberian Sun and Firestorm, you will be required to choose a graphics renderer in these configuration tools. There is no one solution, as different renderers work better in different computer configurations. Experiment with this until you find the one that works best for you. Also, these games will require you to enable no-CD mode if it is not already ticked.
Resolutions for Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge can be changed by opening ra2.ini and ra2md.ini, respectively, in Notepad or a similar text editor and changing the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight values under the [Video] section (may require a first launch if they are not present).
C&C: Generals and Zero Hour require limiting the framerate to 30 FPS (Frames Per Second) to avoid game speed issues – this is done by calling the GenTool menu by hitting the Insert key while in the games’ main menus. GenTool also enables a wider range of resolutions in the games’ option menus.